Monday, October 11, 2010

Chermoula Sauce





We had an unexpected crop of cilantro with our latest batch of lettuce seeds!
How I love cilantro (it's a love or hate relationship for most people). I'll never forget the first time I tasted it, at a "gourmet" produce shop in Portland, Maine when I was in my first year of college, 14 years ago. I was hooked and bought this mysterious herb, not knowing what I'd do with it other than savor it's bright flavor.
I discovered this sauce, or a dip version of it, at the Government Center farmer's market when I worked in downtown Boston, about 5 years ago. The lady who made this sauce added chickpeas and served it with Trader Joe's rice crackers.
This sauce is truly divine and lends itself to many applications. The recipe is also very adaptable. You can add fresh grated ginger and saffron to it.
When making it, I used approximate amounts (no real measuring).
I froze 2 packets and will likely use it over fish, maybe swordfish, or a toss for cooked chicken in quesedillas. I may even try to blend it with chickpeas for a dip, who knows. It freezes quite nicely. Use within 3 months once frozen (I say use anything from the freezer within 3 months).

Chermoula Sauce

* 1 bunch of cilantro, leaves and tender stems
* 1 small handful flat-leaf parsley leaves
* 3 cloves garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin power
* 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* juice of 1/2 lemon and it's zest
* salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment